Sunday, March 17, 2013

Homily from the Heart and Mind

When I read about the new Pope's first homily it made a big impression on me.  I don't even recall the topic, and years from now I am sure I will not.  What I recall is the fact that it was described as a homily without notes.  This is in contrast with the last Pope who had a three page homily written in Latin.  While sometimes, speeches "off the cuff" or "direct from heart and mind" are not the best way to go (as my middle son on Friday night found out when he was working from notes at a 4-H speech competition and was told his prepared speech sounded a bit too informal), the fact that the new Pope would have the confidence and comfort to do that is something I respect quite a bit!  As for my son's presentation, I was actually quite impressed with how well he did with just notes since I love to lecture that way, but not all judges think the same way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment