Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Reflections for the First Day of Lent

Looking at today's Catholic mass readings (Joel 2:12-18, Psalm 51, 2 Cor 5:20-6:2, Mt 5:1-6, 16-18) they offer me a chance to reflect in a way that follow ups on my recent posts of how people show what they care about and what they choose to get excited about.

The first reading talks about gathering everyone together and returning to God with your whole heart.

The psalm asks God to be merciful for we have sinned.  The idea that God can be forgiving in spite of our sins is a big idea and one that should be celebrated with attempts to live more in the ways of the Lord.

The reading from the new testament talks about being an ambassador for God (something that should not be done if one's whole heart is not in it) and now being the day of salvation (good news!).

But interesting, the Gospel offers a contrast.  In the Gospel it is no less important to live in God's ways, but what is suggesting is not an approach to "praise God with drums and dancing" but to act serenely and with dignity.  This is an interesting contrast.

I hope to take both forward with me into Lent.  To use my blog as a time of personal reflection with serenity while being willing to share it with all who care to read it and continuing to proclaim my joy in following the ways of the Lord through my Sunday school teaching and the way I live out my daily life with my friends and family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment