Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Looking at Today's Catholic Mass Reading as a Runner

Today's reading for those who attend a Catholic mass is Hebrews 12:1-4
Brothers and sisters:Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to usand persevere in running the race that lies before uswhile keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus,the leader and perfecter of faith.For the sake of the joy that lay before himJesus endured the cross, despising its shame,and has taken his seat at the right of the throne of God.Consider how he endured such opposition from sinners, in order that you may not grow weary and lose heart.In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood.
What caught my attention about today's reading was when it got to, "and persevere in running the race that lies before us." I don't often think of Jesus as running (a race or otherwise) and I realize that the part about running is for the sake of imagery and symbolism, but it is a wonderful image. Having faith in both the highest times and the lowest times is something that can cause some people to grow weary and lose heart (see near the end). Running a very long race is something during which a runner knows the joy that lays before him but also knows that he must endure. So, the images that are used here are definitely images to which I can relate as I try to strengthen (realizing I will never perfect) my faith. I also know that my races have been relatively easy ones (even my marathons in comparison with some people I know) and I have not had to work to the point of literally or symbolically shedding blood.

It is days like this when I try to break open the word and think about how it relates to me and how I can bring my experiences to what I read to help me understand how the wisdom of what I read fits into my life that I am amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment