Thursday, January 31, 2013

So Much to Learn

In 16 1/2 years at the School of Public Health each move in which I took on more responsibility was an incremental one.  I knew most of the players.  I understood constraints. And I understood objectives from the university's down to my co-workers.

After spending one day in the transition to my new position yesterday I have already learned quite a bit.  First, there are a lot of new terms from HR phrases like "onboarding" to CRM (customer relationship management) used for potential applicants.  Second, there are lots of new people.  Third, while there will be many things done to facilitate my success, ultimately I have to figure out what I need to know, figure out what part of that I don't know, and figure out from whom to get the information.  Once I have done that, I can move ahead and hopefully help the school to move ahead.  My conclusion after yesterday is that there is a LOT I need to know and a lot of different people from whom I need information to learn what I need to know in order to make the best decisions possible.

What an adventure ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment