Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Vanilla Sambuca--Symbol of a Life of Unexpectedly Good Mixtures

Since this is a blog about something in the kitchen it could be an occasional entry in my kitchen blog, but I don't think that when my three kids are all under 21 I should put something about sambuca in a blog about a dad and three boys in the kitchen.

So what is vanilla sambuca about?  I took about a shot of sambuca, three ice cubes, some water to dilute, and a half teaspoon of vanilla and it has a sort of vanilla vodka with sambuca taste.  (That might be an even more interesting--and potent--drink especially if I put it over some serious crushed ice.  Could also try sambuca with vanilla soy milk over crushed ice.)

So why comment on it other than to say it tastes yummy?

Well, it is a mixture of flavors I am experimenting with.  It is a twist on two otherwise good but separate flavors.  Sometimes when I experiment with mixing things that are not obvious combinations they produce a wonderful result.  Sometimes when I experiment with mixing things that are not obvious combinations they produce a result that I don't care for (or others around me don't care for) and I go back to the drawing board and try again.  Taking chances.  Chasing dreams.

This particular combination was a winner.  Whether it is a mixed drink, interdisciplinary research in my career, many family activities, running, or other parts of life--I hope that other unexpected mixtures that I try may turn out so well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment