Wednesday, September 18, 2013

40 Days to Better: Day 17

This morning's run was 7.2 miles.  Mostly pretty easy.  Across to Spring Lake, then south as far as Homeland, west to Charles, north to Stevenson, east to Sherwood along Regester and home.  Not particularly fast. Just getting the miles in.

And what was my lesson learned on my rode to better?  To put it simply: sometimes in life I just depend on a little luck and I should just count my blessings.

Where did that insight come from?  As I was running up Charle St and approaching Northern Parkway, the light at Northern and Charles was green for those on Charles and stayed green just long enough for me to reach the corner and sprint across Northern Parkway safely to continue my run without having to break stride. Unlike my 15 mile run on Saturday when I had to break stride 4 or 5 times, this morning's run was great for many reasons--including the fact that I did not have to break stride.  (As well as the temp and how I was running.)

As I think about the rest of my life, there are many ways in which I have just been lucky over time.

I am lucky to be married to such a wonderful woman.  I am reminded of how lucky I am each morning when I awaken and she is still asleep and I just enjoy her presence.

I am lucky to have landed a job at Johns Hopkins back in 1996.  I am lucky to have met so many great professional colleagues.  I am lucky to have been in the right place at the right time for my transition to my current job.

I am lucky to have been blessed to run relatively fast.  I am lucky to have found such good runners to hang with and train with.

I am lucky to have wonderful children in whom Sherry and I have been able to nurture interesting talents including music playing, recording, visual art, singing, gardening, leadership, lacrosse, and ice hockey.  

I am lucky to have had such incredible professional mentors and leadership coaches.  I am lucky to have a great boss.  

I am lucky to have great friends who support me.

I am just plain lucky to be who I am where I am when I am.  

No comments:

Post a Comment