Monday, September 16, 2013

40 Days to Better: Day 15

Today I ran an easy 5K just to keep the legs loose.  Although they really didn't seem all that loose as I ran.  So it goes.

In any case, I will get to the lesson of the day on the road to better quickly.  I had lunch with someone who is involved in starting a charter school for boys in Baltimore City.  He calls the non-profit that is sponsoring the activity the Five Smooth Stones Foundation and a link to the site for the school that is planned is here.

When I met up with him today, I commented that I knew of only one cultural reference to five smooth stones--David and Goliath.

He said that was exactly what he had intended.  He also mentioned, if I might paraphrase, that he considers each boy (particularly for boys in Baltimore City) is like a David in society.  Trying to make it against all odds.

Why is this an important lesson for me?  Well, it is not really directly.  While I had never thought of it that way and I have not chosen to invest my life in elementary, middle, and high school education, the idea of education appropriate for boys is interesting to me.

This is an important lesson because it reminds me that there is still a lot of dot connecting for me to do in my own life.  It reminds me that my personal blogging began with a story of five smooth stones when a fellow parent at my kids' school passed away and I hear a story about him asking for five smooth stones while he was struggling.  If I return to my first 59 personal blog entries, I am reminded that I had meaning for each of the five smooth stones I picked up from a company that sold nice polished stones at the Renaissance Festival.  One said Love.  The other four each had only one letter standing for ambition, focus, perseverance, and strength.  Good for running.  Good for life.

It is amazing how life cycles around.  The same story being told over and over with a different meaning and often a deeper meaning each time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment