Thursday, September 13, 2012

Thirsting for the Lord

On Sunda at the mass attended by all the catechists, we sang a song based on Psalm 42 that mentions in verses 2 and 3
As the deer longs for streams of water,
so my soul longs for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, the living God.
This made me think of Psalm 63 that a favorite Steve Angrisano song is based on which also talks about thirst and the Lord.  

I have always struggled with this phrase.  What does it mean to "thirst" for the Lord?  Do I have to want to follow God with all my heart, all my mind, and all my soul 24/7?  Do I have to be super evangelical?  Do I have to always "put on the mind of God" (referring to a discussion earlier this week about the meaning of prayer)?  Do I have to be charismatic?

After this week spent really thinking about prayer styles (particularly the Augustinian style that characterizes my approach so well), I don't think so.  I think what I need is just to continue to do what I am doing.  To want, to long, to year to spend a little time each day looking for answers as to how the Word of God through the Bible relates to me today.  It is the seeking.  It is the yearning.  Thirsting for answers in my relationship with God and my fellow humans.  Thirsting for insight.  Seeking (and sometimes finding) ways to express my fellowship with others and following of the Lord through actions, words, song, and symbols.  That is my version of thirsting for God.  

Am I perfect?  No, of course not?  But it has given me a new perspective on how to live up to the songs I sing at church some Sunday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment