Monday, September 17, 2012

Lift Up My Day to the Lord

So, I missed writing this morning.  And I missed running this morning.  Not the best morning for the things that I usually find enriching.  But I did get some work done and that was a good thing.  In fact, I went to bed early last night because I was trying to get some work done after mass (at 5:30 PM) in which I played bass and dinner (yummy pork, sauerkraut, and carrots in a slow cooker on homemade rolls) but I was falling asleep working.

So this morning I got work done before 5:30. Then I made some honey wheat bagels.  Then I went to the grocery store.  Then I had a nicely productive day at work.  Then I came home and did dishes.  Now, I am looking at reading to my seven year old, going to pick up my poster for tomorrow, picking up my 13 year old from boychoir, making banana bread for the family tomorrow, maybe running tonight, and then having a nice day at the conference tomorrow.

So, today has been a day of doing.  And while I would love to reflect on my first day of teaching 3rd graders about faith formation, or yesterday's second reading, or playing music, or any of another large set of things about my faith, I think I will make one simple statement today.

As a very Franciscan style prayer--I lift up my day to the Lord.  That is actually sort of part of the definition of prayer in the kids' book.  The definition mentioned talking to and listening to God.  It also mentioned lifting up the heart and mind.  Today I lifted up my mind and my actions and tried to make sure my heart was guiding me as well.

Was everything full of grace?  No, probably not.  Was I using all the gifts God has given me to try to make the world a better place?  I tried.  So, I lift up what I did to the Lord.  And I continue to make the commitment to make the effort better each day in the moment and for the good of today as well as the good of tomorrow.  (I typed that last part in without even thinking but it seems like an Augustinian twist is nearly inescapable in my spiritual life).

No comments:

Post a Comment