Monday, December 16, 2013

The Spirituality of Advent, Day 2, Week 3

Today, I'll be commenting on a post by Metta Integrative Wellness on Facebook.

The post read:
Metta is an "Integrative" wellness center, which means that we provide opportunities to receive combined offerings of holistic and complementary wellness services such as psychotherapy, acupuncture, massage, and more. 
Do you utilize an integrative wellness approach to support your health and well-being? How has this approach enriched your life and your healing journey? We would love to hear from you!
Well, I have an answer. And it has a lot to do with the ways that I seek joy.

I only use a little bit of health care or "alternative" health care. Basically, I go for a massage every once in a while, and I go to the physician when I am ill. I haven't been to a physician for anything preventive in a long time. There will come a time when I will go for Western health care more frequently--when it comes time to get screened for various things on an annual on otherwise regular basis. Maybe some day I will take flu shots more seriously. But right now, I am well.

I am well because of the complete relaxation I allow myself for 90 minutes of massage.

I am well because of an occasional trip to the chiropractor.

I am well because I run.  (On a treadmill at a hotel in London today I ran 10K at 8 min/mile.)

I am well because when I run I run with friends as often as possible. I listen. I speak. I share. I experience the wonders of the world with others.

I am well because I write this blog. It gives me time to think. It gives me a forum to share. It gives me a way to speak out and see if others share the thoughts, feelings, and ideas I have.

I am well because I play music. My bass. My mandolin.

I am well because I occasionally write poetry.

I am well because I attend as many of my children's events as I can. Not all. Unfortunately, that is incredibly difficult with my job. But I attend as many as I can. And after seeing a movie on the flight over, What Maisie Knew, the importance of being there for as many things as possible was re-emphasized. The story was about a child whom neither of her two real parents wanted to slow down their lives for.

I am well because I have a marriage that, while not perfect, brings joy.

I am well because I teach Sunday school.

I am well because I think of myself not just as an individual.  But an individual who is
  • part of a family
  • part of a church community
  • part of a running community
  • part of a neighborhood
  • part of a university
  • part of a school within the university
  • part of an office within the school
  • part of a blogging community
  • part of something bigger than myself
And it is that last part that really brings me to spirituality.  Knowing that there are many things bigger than me that I am a part of.  And trying to figure out what it means.

And to answer the question posed by Metta Wellness--I like to integrate all for my own well-being and joy and hopefully for the well-being and joy of those around me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment