Wednesday, October 2, 2013

40 Days to Better: Day 31

Today's run was a simple 3.3 mile in between harder days run.  Nothing special.  Just sort of there.  Not that that was a problem.  Just a fact.

Before I ran I made two loaves of banana bread.  They were yummy.

Before I ran I walked the dog.  While walking the dog, I noticed the stars of Orion's belt.  That is one of the main constellations that you can see in the sky from my home when I am up before dawn.  I can't pick out many more than the belt and maybe a couple others.  I didn't study the constellations closely enough as a kid.

I was pleasantly surprised to see another Waldorf parent write a post about Orion on Facebook this morning.  She referred to Orion as strong and bright.  I didn't ask why she was either looking out the window or out before drinking her coffee (based on her post) but I did comment back on the beauty of the constellation.

The constellation is a symbol.  It may represent something that was real--or at least more real.  But it is just an image in the sky.  

An image is not a reality.  It may be close but it is not real.

This is in contrast with a comment I received later today.  After running my first all staff meeting including now close to 40 people in my office, I was approached by a staff member.  She told me that someone had told her before I came to my new position that she would find that I was the "real deal".  She told me that after six months she had to agree.  Not just speaking symbolically.  Not just an image of someone good.  But someone who really really is good.  

Why?  I saw something that was being imposed on the staff of my office, noticed that it was dysfunctional, and rather than simply saying, "We just have to deal with it," I took a pro-active role, brought it to a stop, and indicated that on my watch it would not continue until I had a chance to deal with those who were responsible for this particular activity to improve the process.  My staff likes being heard.  They like being valued.  The like having their work valued.  

What I find interesting is that I ask, "Well, who wouldn't notice?  What type of manager would not do something about it?  Who would leave their employees to feel undervalues, underappreciated, and marginalized?"  Apparently, there are other managers who might--or my staff member would not have had the reaction she did.

I am glad to be a "real" person to my employees who treats them as "real" people and is seen as caring about them. 

What I would hope is that all my friends and family would feel that way.

I know some do.

I know others sometimes do.

I know that others may question whether I am the "real deal" or not.

Coming back to trying harder that I wrote about yesterday, I want to try harder to make sure that everyone in my life can recognize me as the "real deal".

Will I succeed?  That, I cannot answer.

I can only strive to make it truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment