Friday, October 11, 2013

40 Days to Better: Day 40

Today is the last of the days before the half marathon.  Tomorrow--whatever the temperature and whatever is going on with precipitation or not, I will run.  I am better.  I am ready.  I will run.  I will wear my watch but try to minimize the number of times I look at it.  I will take water while I run but mostly poor it over my head.  I expect not to take food while I run--I will eat early in the morning when I awaken.  I will just run.  And I will breath.  And I will enjoy it.

My bib number (see the picture to the right) is 10470.  I have not done a blog entry about a bib number in a long time.  In part, that is because I have not raced in a long time.  However, I figured that with the opportunity to have this as a moment of reflection on the last of the 40 days on the road to better, it might be a good thing to do.  Then, on race day, I can write about where my discernment has led me and draw this to a conclusion.

So, what verse did I come up with?  I had to stretch my imagination to find something that I liked in this case.  I came up with searching for a book in which verses 10 and 11 (4+7) from the beginning (0), so 1:10-11, would mean something to me.  I found Mark 1:10-11
On coming up out of the water he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit, like a dove, descending upon him. 
And a voice came from the heavens, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”
So, why is this relevant to me.  Jesus had just been baptized.   God was pleased with his obedience.  It is a sign that obedience is well rewarded.

I do not claim to have been obedient to everything in the church.  Nor do I claim to think that I am necessarily going to be well rewarded by God.  But I do believe in following instructions when it comes to training.  I do believe in doing things right when it comes to being ready to run.  And I do believe that if I do what I plan and I follow instructions, good things will come.

This carries over to other parts of life.  Following directions is generally a good thing.  I don't expect the voice of God to ever greet me when I follow directions.  I don't expect a gold star every time I follow directions.  Following directions should just be second nature.  A part of life. An expected thing to do.  But sometimes I need reminding.  And finding this set of two verses on the day before a race is a good thing to remind me of the importance of following a plan during the race and following a plan in life to maximize the probability of a successful outcome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment