Wednesday, October 9, 2013

40 Days to Better: Day 38

Today I had a choice.  I woke up early enough to make the choice between going back to sleep to get some more rest or getting up to do a combination of running, work. perhaps baking.  In the end, I decided to take the day off from running.  My body is suffering from the sore throat and congestion I mentioned yesterday, and I need to give it every chance to heal itself to the highest degree possible before Saturday morning.  Yes, I will have to run the remaining two mornings this week.  But I plan to do no more than 4 miles on each of the two remaining days.  Just to loosen my legs up a little.  Just to make sure I am still getting into the running.  I won't improve my speed or cardio at this point.  And I could lose a lot if I were to fall and hurt myself or strain a muscle.  I just have to remember what the past 40 days and, in fact, all my training since Boston have been about--running the best half marathon possible three days from now.

The sleep also makes it more likely that I will make it through the day at work today without losing concentration.  It makes it more likely I won't feel the need to doze.  But I do always have the option of calling it a day early if I am really not feeling well.  

Life lesson?  I have to focus on making sure that I do what is smart.  That I improve.  That I take responsibility for me.  I don't often think of Michael Jackson songs, but this is a case where the song Man in the Mirror comes to mind.  Look at myself and make a change.

I can't change anyone else.  I can only change myself.

And if I change myself for the better, I hope and pray that will be better for those around me.  I hope and pray that will facilitate change that those around me need to make (if they need to make any).  I hope and pray that working together, each person being responsible for himself or herself, can work together for a better whole.  Making the world a better place for all.

But all I can do is improve myself.  Through 38 of the 40 days on the road to better, I have spent a lot of time thinking, a lot of time pondering, a lot of time reflecting.  I am pretty sure that as I reach the end of forty days of discernment I have a story to tell.  I have an idea of how to change my life.  I have an idea of what to do so that my life is better and those around me have better lives as well.  

And once I get there, all I can do is wait and see what happens.  Day by day.  Week by week.  Month by month.  Are goals met?  Is the change positive?  What can I do more or less of in continuing to build the road to better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment