Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Still Progressing

Today's run was a progression run.  It was fun as I was joined by the person with whom I ran the 2 person marathon relay on Thanksgiving weekend two years ago and the person with whom I'm going to run the same race this year.  We had a fun 7 miles running a loop from the Dunbar track back to the Dunbar track and then two laps around the track.  The pace was conversational for most, but not all, and we ran from a bit under 8:30 for the first mile down to 6:54 for the last.  And the last didn't feel like we were pushing all that hard--although having half of the mile running around the track didn't hurt.

Running that distance with the times we hit and keeping pace up Baltimore Street running east to west along the north side of Patterson Park is my latest answer to #WhatMakesYouSoar.

Today's run brought me up to 1800 miles.  As for my virtual pilgrimage, I am still on US 54 west of Santa Rosa.  I continue to move toward Truth or Consequences, NM.

The miles came easily and other than a little tightness in my right calf this evening, I'm feeling like I didn't do 22 miles at a 7:41 pace on Saturday morning.  Three days to recover seems pretty surprising to me.  Pleasantly surprising.  Surprisingly resilient.  Learning more about what my body can do.

The title of this entry it "still progressing" rather than progression run.  How am I progressing still? I am progressing toward the goal at the end of nine years of running.  I will continue to run after the marathon on November 23, but I have reached a point at which I can see that this is the end of the line for running at this level of intensity.  I have made the decision to put a big effort into this marathon.  I am progressing quickly toward the end of this road.  I am glad to see the end.  But I am also scared to see the end since I have put so much mental and emotional energy into this one race.  We shall see how much further I can progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment