Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Athletes and "This Cures Everything"

Today's entry will be a short one. I ran 10 miles on the treadmill to simulate a track workout that included 7 separate 1/2 mile runs at 6:00/mile pace.  That puts me at a total of 1847.3 miles.

The most interesting observation for today is that according to my wife, the two hockey players (age 9) whom she drove home today said, "Hockey is the cure for everything."

A lot of runners say that.

I don't know that I'd ever heard any other type of athlete say that.

The key is that for nine year olds to recognize this and feel this suggests that the feeling goes pretty deep among athletes.  People who love what they play.  People who are good at what they play. People who in participating in an activity get into a "zone" feel that it can solve just about anything.  It allows them to shed the cares of the day. It allows them to change their focus.  It allows them to chill out (no pun intended in the case of hockey).  It allows them to relax.  

All of these things are good for this 44 year old.

All of these things are apparently good for my nine year old son.

#WhatMakesYouSoar--knowing that there is an outlet that feels like it can make everything better.  Does it really?  Of course not.  But it can make a huge difference in how I feel and in many cases half the battle is just feeling better about something before I take on more critical aspects of solving a problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment