Thursday, November 21, 2013

A 19:10 5K Translated into a Bible Verse--Ecclesiastes 1:9-10

So, my last entry of something truly new was the entry regarding self-actualization where I talked about playing my bass versus running and academics and teaching Sunday school, etc. 

What is interesting is that at my recent 5K (on November 9), I ran a 19:10.  I had not run that fast since high school.  Great.  I had not yet taken the time to write about it in terms of a Bible verse.  What I stumbled on was Ecclesiastes, chapter 1, verses 9 and 10.  Here is the text from the US Conference of Catholic Bishops website:

What has been, that will be; what has been done, that will be done. Nothing is new under the sun!
Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us.
This seemed like a particularly apt set of verses given my recent thinking about self-actualization.  "What has been, that will be" and "what has been done, that will be done."  I am making choices that are similar (practically identical) to choices I made 27 years ago.  Even the statement "Nothing is new under the sun!"  I have always been a person who tries to cram in too much.  Who tries to make myself too busy.  Who does not focus.  I am learning now to get focused.  I am learning to be more careful with what I commit to.  Am I perfect?  No way.  But with my new job, eight months in, I am definitely moving in the right direction.

I'm not even sure I would say "See, this is new!"  The choice existed before.  And I will probably face another choice some time in the future in which I have to think about how to cut some things short and focus on others.  

What was also interesting in this situation, was that I ended up sharing this situation with my oldest son's girlfriend.  She asked me what had brought me to the electric bass.  I shared with her the story.  Learned a little guitar when Christopher started.  Never got all that good.  Wanted to do something along with Christopher when he started in the worship band at church.  Couldn't keep up on guitar.  They needed a bass player.  And the rest was history.

But I also shared with her that I had to make a conscious choice that involved giving it up.  And that this was the second time in my life that I gave up something musical.  And that gave me a chance to excel at the other things on which I chose to focus.  

In contrast, she and my son had chosen music at every opportunity.  And it has taken them and hopefully will continue to take them far.

God gives us choices.  We have free will.  We have to make the choices to give God glory.  I feel I am making the right ones.  It is amazing how I have to learn and relearn the same lessons.  But it gives me hope that I can share with others.  Maybe I'm not the only one who looks at a verse likes this and reflects on how many times I have had to relearn the same things.  What that says about me.  And how I will take that reflection into the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment