Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Spirituality of Advent

In the past several years, I have made it a habit of writing groups of blog entries.  I have experienced two years of trying to blog every day during the Christian season of Lent--using it as a time of preparation for my own soul for something new and a time of reflection.

After running the Boston marathon this year and being too close for comfort to the explosive events of the day and thinking that I might have been on the train with one of the suspects, I wrote 26 healing essays.

Starting on September 1 and leading up to the Baltimore running festival I posted the 40 Days to Better.  Ending with a reflection on how if I could improve my faith, fitness, and function that would line up nicely with family needs and lead to a better outcome.  And that a person who had called on me to become better professionally and facilitated that development had also helped me to see ways to be better as a person in general--particularly with respect to family.

So, as we enter another season of preparation, this time Advent, I am going to blog about four themes.  I have debated which for themes.  One website just talks about how the three traditionally purple candles represent penance, the whole season represents waiting, the pink candle of week three represents joy, and we are waiting on a Savior.  Another site lists the candles as being of hope, preparation, joy, and love.  I definitely like the idea behind the second one a little better.  

So, as we enter a season this Sunday in which I try to appreciate the spiritual enormity of Isaiah 9:2, "The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwelt in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined" I will write each week (or part of a week in the case of love) about a topic and after reflecting for 24 days see where my heart and soul have ended up. It will be an interesting journey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment