Sunday, January 22, 2017

The People who Walked in Darkness Have Seen a Great Light

Today was the first time I had the opportunity to hear Fr. Sam Lupico say mass at St. Pius X in a long time.  When he said mass every week his emotional and long homilies could occasionally lead me to zoning out.  But when I haven't heard from him in months, my attention was all there.  Today he was on fire.

He talked about the first reading that included the line from Isaiah: The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light.  He reminded us how this was written at the time of the first of the three prophets who contributed to the book of Isaiah (as he almost always does when we hear Isaiah read at mass).  

That line has always been inspiring to me.  It is a reminder that since the eighth century before the common era, people have been concerned about dark times and renewal.  The chance for rebirth.  The chance for change.  The chance to achieve something better.  Each time, humanity has found a way to move ahead.  I'm sure that even though that was the first writing of the saying, people had struggled and overcome before that.  From a philosophical and spiritual point of view, it gives me hope to think about the fact that over a time period that is approaching 3 millennia, people have felt like they were walking in darkness and seen a great light.  People have overcome.  People have come out better on the other side.  Not just one coming out better.  But groups and societies and humanity.  

And that gives me hope.

What is your great light?  

No comments:

Post a Comment