Saturday, August 4, 2012

Ephesians 4:1-6--Last Thoughts on the 17th Sunday of Ordinary Time

Since tomorrow is Sunday again, I figure it is about time to bring my blogging about last Sunday's readings to a close.  So, I will comment on the second reading--from the letter of Paul to the Ephesians, Chapter 4 verses 1-6.  Recall, that these readings for me were not only in the context of having heard a reading about multiplying of loaves in the first reading, but they were in the context of being back in the US for less than 24 hours and in the context of playing bass for the first time in a couple of weeks.


The reading starts out, with Paul urging us "to live in a manner worthy of the call you have received".  Of course, I immediately thought of the how blessed I was to be able to play and to be playing at mass that day.  I have begun to appreciate playing more and more since I came back to it a year ago and focus on playing and becoming a better musician rather than someone who just tries to be a singing musician.  My call is to play bass.  And run.  And bake.  And many other things.  But in the context of the readings last Sunday morning it was about bass and baking bread.


Then, much of the rest of the brief reading said,


"striving to preserve the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace:
one body and one Spirit,
as you were also called to the one hope of your call;
one Lord, one faith, one baptism;
one God and Father of all"



As I listened, I heard the word "one" over and over. It was interesting to hear the word one repeatedly as a lot of what I heard in the rest of the the readings made me think about repetition and the importance of repetition in learning lessons.  


The lesson from the second reading was the repetition of one.  The repetition of the ideas about one of something.  One of lots of things.  And what one means.  One body.  on spirit,  One hope.  On Lord.  One faith.  One baptism. One God.  A call for something singular.  A call for unity.  A call for a unifying theme among those with whom we live.  A call for a unifying theme for my life.


I don't often feel like I have a unifying theme as I cram so much in.  But I suppose when all is said and done the unifying theme is to live in a way that shows that I appreciate the gifts I've been given, that avoids wasting the gifts I've been given, that uses the gifts I've been given to bring glory to God, and that shows that I live as close to the way that Christ would want me to as possible.  


Praise God for the nourishment of my soul.  

No comments:

Post a Comment