Monday, April 8, 2019

Embrace the Mud


A warning given at the starting line--
“The turn-around point is flooded today.”
Given how much rain fell the day before,
It was easy to imagine puddles
Prevalent on the rail trail by the stream,
But it was hard to imagine a flood.
When our band of three and other runners
Reached the point where we’d finally turn back
We saw not a flood but copious mud
With no way to possibly get around.
At that point we had to make a judgement—
Whether to be cautious or run straight through.
I heard myself shout an invitation,
“Embrace the mud.” As much to myself as
Any of the other four runners there.
We ran directly to the orange cone,
Not caring how much of the mud we splashed.
Covering shoes and shins and shorts and shirts,
Then turning around to finish the race.
Splashing again till we were past the mud
Everyone noticing amounts of spots
That covered each runner as we went on.
But no one caring as we’d made it through
And could carry on with the task at hand.
As we continued on toward the finish line
Picking up the pace as we ran each mile,
I was pondering way back in my mind
How I’d approach the next issue in life
When there’s no easy way to get around.
Would I again shout to embrace the mud?
Or cautiously do my best to avoid?
I hope that my shout in the woods that day
Sets the tone for facing all challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment