Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Real Miles


A lived mile is a real mile.
In a lived mile I am present for…
Every one of the thousand or more foot striking strides.
Every drop of sweat—
   Glistening on every square inch of my exposed skin,
   Pooling on the small of my back,
   Spewing in every direction in the summer heat,
   And soaking through any shirt I may wear,
   Making me want to throw on a dry shirt
   Before walking the farmers’ market after a Sunday run
   Or before I enter a fellow runner’s dwelling place.
Every breath and heart beat
   Oxygenating blood and moving
   It to striving muscles.
Every sight,
Every sound, and
Every smell of my city
Every drop of rain,
   And flake of snow,
   And gust of wind when the weather is not perfect.
Every glorious sunrise
   When the weather is perfect.
And when I am lucky enough to be
In the presence of another runner,
My lived mile is being present for…
Every shared stride,
Every coordinated turn,
Every life story,
Every word spoken,
Every word heard,
Every smile shared,
Every high five,
Every hug at the end of a run.
Being present for the mile makes it real.
Recording or reporting it does not augment reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment