Sunday, October 7, 2018

On the Seventh Day I Ran Alone


The week began after what would normally be
The last long week of marathon training for me.
But I planned to run sixty miles this week, with a long one,
While seeing just how many smiles for other runners
I could manage.

On the first four days,
I ran with a different person each day.
Listening to four unique stories.
Sharing some parts of my life multiple times.
Sharing some parts of my life specifically relevant to each fellow runner.
I’ve known them for as many as seven years
Or as few as two.
On the fifth day I ran with the runners from days two and three
And had a good run by the boat in the harbor for fleet week
Noting that there was more security than in past years.

On the sixth day I was on the local rail trail
For the first time in months
With the running partner with whom I’ve been running longest.
She joined me for more than thirteen of the twenty
I ran that morning.
We had a long talk,
Reflecting on many things we have talked about before
And adding some things that were new that day.
I made her laugh while running south,
And it was good.

On the seventh day I was able to reach sixty miles.
On that seventh day, I ran alone.
The alone time gave me a chance to barely speak,
And to appreciate the runs earlier in the week.
One time running alone makes me appreciate
All the time on runs with my running family.
For time is the most precious thing I can share
And sharing time running builds lasting friendships
As we exercise, struggle and share together
Over and over,
With one thing that keeps us together,
A desire to share uninterrupted time
Over and over.
That means something.
That means family.

No comments:

Post a Comment