Monday, December 26, 2016

Greetings or Not

It is always nice to see other people while I am out running.  Whether I am running alone or with a training partner, it is always nice to know that I am not the only one out there.  Most of the time I will greet the people I see.

On my Christmas morning run, I saw only two others out there and thought it unusual to see so few—even on the mountain at Massanutten.  The two were walking the family dog and both wished me a Merry Christmas at around 9 AM.  I wished them Merry Christmas in return.  I thought I was lucky to see any pedestrians out.  Plenty of cars.  But just the two pedestrians. 

This morning, I saw just one person walking.  And despite coming toward me and my offering a greeting, he didn’t answer.  In his defense, he was on the other side of the road. 


But this contrast demonstrates just how varied others on the roads and sidewalks of the world can be.  Each opportunity for a greeting is an opportunity for a smile.  And opportunity to help to brighten someone else’s day.  For those who do not want to engage, I cannot change that.  But for those who do, the experience can and should be a positive one for both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment