Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Did You Rehearse That?

Last week, I had the opportunity to speak to the Dean's Alumni Advisory Board at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.  What I realized was how much, in the nearly three years I have held my position as Vice Dean for Education, my capacity to hold the position has evolved.  One would expect it to evolve, of course, but I received a very clear signal last Friday.

In what way?

Well, I was asked to give a presentation focusing on our academic programs, an exercise the school had done looking at the relationship between our mission and our curriculum, and an update on the school's process of obtaining AACSB accreditation.  

I proceeded through my presentation.  I talked about our MBA programs.  I discussed our specialized MS programs.  I talked about our move toward online programs.  I talked about our small undergraduate program.  I moved on to our exercise and the results that we found that most courses do bring our mission into the curriculum.  And then I finished discussing the continuing process of moving toward accreditation.

I was asked a few questions about resources and timing.  I answered them

I had one page of notes that focused only on the middle of the three topics.  Even those I rarely referred to.

I noticed that my presentation style had completely changed.  Three years ago, everything was rushed.  As I focused on getting all the information out, I tended to loose focus and hurry.  

Last Friday, I was able to be clear.  I took my time.  I told a story with links from one area to the next.  I was comfortable with what I needed to know.  I was comfortable with what I knew.  And apparently, it showed as someone asked me, "Did you rehearse that?"  

I was totally flattered.  I had not.  I have simply become comfortable with my position, with my change in career from the Bloomberg School of Public Health to the Carey Business School, and with the fact that I am asked to represent it.  

That was the second day in a row that I was totally flattered.  

I am grateful for the recognition.

I use that to inspire me to work even harder to help the organization of which I am a part and the individuals with whom I have the good fortune to have in my life on a daily basis.

What inspires you?

No comments:

Post a Comment