Saturday, October 17, 2015

Freedom's Run Marathon--Part 5

Yesterday I wrote about my bib number and some Bible verses.  Today, I use my race time--3:34:11.  

And I want to go back to Psalms to choose to start from verse 3 in Psalm 34 and going to verse 11.  

Let me put those verses here:
3 My soul will glory in the LORD;let the poor hear and be glad.4 Magnify the LORD with me;
and let us exalt his name together.5 I sought the LORD, and he answered me,
delivered me from all my fears.6 Look to him and be radiant,
and your faces may not blush for shame.7 This poor one cried out and the LORD heard,
and from all his distress he saved him.8 The angel of the LORD encamps
around those who fear him, and he saves them.
9 Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the stalwart one who takes refuge in him.10 Fear the LORD, you his holy ones;
nothing is lacking to those who fear him.11 The rich grow poor and go hungry,
but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.

This is not only a set of verses that are related to my race time, but Psalm 34 was also part of mass the day after the marathon.  Father Sam, at St. Pius X, mentioned the communion antiphon after the Eucharistic song was done.  He mentioned Psalm 34 and he specifically referred to verse 11.  I knew that there was something that was going to be related to my run.  

I'd like to add verse 2, "I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall be always in my mouth."  

While that is not something that is directly related to my time, I saw this verse when I first turned to Psalm 34.  This is part of the way I try to lead my life of faith--with a constant reflection on the glory of God in the way that I lead my life.

Getting back to the verses most closely related to my time, it also makes me think of a running graphic I posed recently.  Here is what it said, "Running removes pretense, which is why those who run beside us become honored friends."  This is attributed to Dave Griffin.

And how does this all fit together?

First, Lauren (and several other training partners) have become honored friends after the many miles of running side by side.  Not often in races but through all the training.  

Second, removing pretense means that a person is vulnerable.  I associate being vulnerable with the type of being "poor" that the psalm is referring to.  The Psalm contrasts the poor and the rich.  That seems to imply that it has to do with money.  And those who are poor in money may also be poor in spirit.  But the interpretation is usually poor in spirit.  What does that mean?

I often think of it as vulnerable.  No pretenses.  Nothing false.  Just me.  

And when I run 26.2 miles, I cannot put forward any pretense.  There is nothing false.  I am just on the course.  And I have to reach the end.  And I can only do so under my own effort.  And if I make it, I make it on my own.  And if something happens to keep me from reaching the end or if I don't reach the end in the time I expect, it is on me.  

I am vulnerable.  I have no pretense.  I am before God.  And I use the gifts that God gives me to praise God and show his glory.   

No comments:

Post a Comment