Monday, November 19, 2018

Instinctive Hunting


My creamy coated dog, China, and I,
Went for a long pre-dawn walk,
On a crisp November morning,
Under the stars that outline
An imagined hunter named Orion.
On the walk, she would stop and sniff
What seemed like everything.
I wondered what instincts
Were running through her mind.
Tracking a salmon in a stream in some past life?
Hunting the rabbits and squirrels
In our postage-stamp sized back yard?
Following the foxes that run through
Our residential neighborhood almost daily?
There is no way for me to know,
But it prompted me to think about
My instincts.
Do I even have instincts?
Are my instincts to be a hunter like Orion?
That is a thought that makes me laugh,
And would probably do the same for family,
And all the friends I call chosen family.
I’ve been told I overthink everything
And find it impossible
To draw things to conclusion.
But, in a way, I am a hunter.
Just not hunting game like Orion.
My brain is always hunting for answers.
Reflecting on things that have happened
To me and to those I call family.
Pondering how they are all connected.
Pondering ways to make
Deeper and extra connections.
Not just to hunt for today.
But to create a multiplier effect of betterment
For all my tomorrows
And the tomorrow of those around me.
That is my instinct.

No comments:

Post a Comment