Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Little Things

Yesterday was an amazing day for finding out how recognizing small things (especially when it is done over and over again) can make a difference. 

The day began with a running partner and mentee talking about the impression a text about the Orioles game on Mother's Day had gotten her own mother's attention.  The text was simple--pointing out how well the O's were doing at the games my friend attended.  The point was that the attention to detail as the text was soon after the game ended.  Her mother apparently suggested that should try to find a guy to date with some of the same characteristics I bring to our friendship.  It's not every day that I am used as an example of what to look for in a partner.  I have no illusions about being a perfect partner.  But I do try to take time to supportively recognize positive things about people around me in a timely way. Sometimes I do it very creatively.  That makes an impression. 


At work, I made a point to thank a staff member in the School I was in before the business school whose attention to detail is critical to a positive experience for students and faculty around students' final dissertation defenses.  She seemed pleasantly surprised when I thanked her for consistently doing her job well so that all the students and all the faculty would know where to be when to remove one of the potential stressors on the day of a final defense.


I had yet another student tell me how much she appreciated my support for her and one of the organizations she cared most about while at the business school.  It wasn't just that she shared her thanks in a heartfelt manner. It was that she was the second or third student  this spring to do so.  The feeling of being repeatedly told how helpful my support is helps to reinforce why I continue to do it.  But I try very hard not to let the whole thing go to my head. 


I congratulated several faculty for promotions.  The first one to get back to me talked about how I exemplify the school's tagline about business with humanity in mind and serve as a role model. 


In most cases, I would tell each person, "I'm just doing what comes naturally.  Being a supportive friend, colleague and mentor who works with friends, students, staff, and faculty to make my world a better place each day.  One of the simplest ways to do that is by attention to detail." 


Do I get all the details?  No.


Am I perfect when I do get the details?  No.


Does this mean I have making people feel good all figured out?  No.


Does this mean that I have figured out the level of effort needed to make the world a better place each day?  No.  It challenges me to continue to raise the bar so that I can be a little more effective at making the world a better place today than I was yesterday. 


What can I conclude from all this?  In a world in which people are seeking validation of their interests, actions, work ethic, friendship and so much else, a little bit of "great job" can go a long, long way toward making the world a better place.  My challenge is to continue to notice and bring a little light to the day for people day after day moving ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment