Sunday, April 8, 2018

Attire


Many of us have constraints and expectations on what we wear to work. Sometimes the constraints and expectations of how a person in a job should dress are societal. Other times they are employer specific. Some are self-imposed.

Despite the constraints and expectations, I don’t think that anyone should have to spend a fortune to make a positive impression with their attire. I’d hope individuals can find affordable clothes that meet constraints and expectations while reflecting personality.


I had the opportunity to work with a photographer recently (http://www.kaitlinnewman.com/portrait.html), taking a set of photographs that I can use as professional headshots but nonetheless, reflecting my personality. The photos were taken in the area where I spend many hours working, where I run usually at least once a week, and that after more than two decades in Baltimore represents what I consider to be “home”.  The suit is
standard, but the combination of tie, pocket handkerchief, floral lapel pin, and (in a few shots) running shoes, allowed the attire to reflect my personality.

Why is this important?  One job ago, my attire could be fairly casual. In a senior leadership position in a business school now, people notice what I wear. At my first annual review, my supervisor even commented on the importance of attire. I’ve been fortunate to work with a great place to find clothes that meet all the criteria (affordable, quality, reflect my personality) since then (http://christopherschafer.com).  Between then and now, one of my fellow faculty asked whether I’d lost weight—no, just wearing clothes that fit better.

In the past week, I had two occasions on which attire caught people’s attention. Obviously, my supervisor notices what I wear. I had on a suit that was not new. But a combination of a blue pinstriped suit, a light blue and just dry cleaned shirt, fairly new shoes, with a bold pink tie and a bold pink floral lapel pin, led my supervisor to comment, “Nice suit.” The other occasion was at a reception for small business owners who are involved in a program that Johns Hopkins is a partner in (https://hub.jhu.edu/2017/08/02/goldman-sachs-10ksb-baltimore-launch/).  As I was preparing to leave, someone whom I had met for a second time commented positively on my attire—gray pinstriped suit, lavender and white checked shirt, purple paisley tie, and purple floral lapel pin.

In neither case this week was I trying to impress. However, I recognize that attire can make an impression. The floral lapel pins and tie colors reflect my personality.  The suits reflect the expectations and constraints. Together, they make me feel empowered to take on the challenges of each day knowing that people won’t be asking, “What’s that?” about what I wear. That way we can all focus on getting the job done. In theory, should we be able to just get the job done no matter how we come to the table dressed? Yes, we should. But choosing attire that is not distracting and may occasionally make a very positive impression just makes it easier to focus on the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment