Sunday, November 26, 2017

Giving Thanks

Today is the end of Thanksgiving weekend in the United States.  During this weekend, I have run with a friend on my longest run since the JFK50, visited extended family in the Philadelphia area, played two-hand touch football with Back on My Feet, gone to the last Penn State regular season football game of the year with Sherry, and hosted 13 to visit and 9 for a lovely meal at our temporary home in Baltimore.

I am not thankful for the event that led to our being in temporary housing--a kitchen fire on September 21.  I am thankful that the fire was contained, that my four family members were all safe, that our three pets were all safe, and that I have such wonderful family and friends who have been supportive in the time since.

This is a much more fundamental thankfulness than most years.  Many years I could write about all sorts of things for which I have been truly thankful.  But this is different.  Having been through an event that could have taken my life, I appreciate the things I am thankful for more than ever.

The meal we hosted was a chance to take a break from the fact that we are in temporary housing and welcome people into our lives for an afternoon.  (Although inevitably, those visiting wanted to know how soon till we get back in our permanent home.)  I had all five of my immediate family members in the same place for a meal the second time in one week.  We had a visit family from my youngest son's school who were not able to stay for the meal but enjoyed chatting.  My godmother came down from Pennsylvania.  We enjoyed having our next store neighbor at our permanent home visit and stay for the meal because  we miss having her around all the time.  And two members of my running family came to share conversation and the meal in a non-running setting after we had traveled to and from a 50 mile foot race together eight days ago.  Everyone came together to eat a meal that included turkey, stuffing cooked in the turkey, dressing (stuffing cooked in a pan), sweet potato puff made by my 18 year old, pumpkin biscuits made by my 12 year old, homemade cranberry sauce (which I made and, in the spirit of my grandmother with jello salad for many gatherings at her house in my childhood, left in the fridge through most of the meal), green bean casserole made by my godmother, and apple pie with vanilla ice cream.

The time spent with friends and family in conversation was wonderful.

This year, I am most thankful to be able to do that at all.

Looking ahead, I look forward to the work on our home being done and to returning to our permanent home.  I will be thankful when that occurs as our we have a house right now, but it is not home.

This afternoon was nice as it made our temporary house feel more like home with so many people brought together for food, family, and fellowship.

And, when all is said and done, no matter what place and no matter what things, the powerful connecting power of having food with family and friends and the conversation it inspires and the support it represents is what life is about to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment