Sunday, June 15, 2014

A Muddy Run

I sit here on Sunday morning waiting for my fourth (or fifth?) GMBC Father's Day race and look back over the week of running.  I ran a track workout on Tuesday that I wrote about.  But my symptoms of something (never figured our exactly what) kept me out on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. By Friday I was feeling well enough to run 2.5 miles.  I wanted just to get my legs going again.  And I didn't have a whole lot of time since I needed to work a 10 hour day before going to a crab feast.

Then, yesterday, I went for a 12 mile run.  I was back on the NCR trail for the first time in a long time.  Easy.  Relatively flat.  Relatively straight.  I ran 2 miles alone and then 10 with a long time running friend.  It was much cooler but still a bit humid.  It was not fast.  It was just a solid effort.

The trail was a bit muddy.  Not everywhere.  But in some spots there were massive puddles that were hard to get around without getting somewhat messy.  A bit challenging to avoid potential injury.  I even posted a picture of how muddy my one leg was.  The rain on Friday had been pretty amazing.

What does the muddy trail make me think of?  Plans interrupted.  Plans having to be thought through.  Plans having to be remade.  And having to deal with the results (i.e. being a mess) afterwards.

How does that fit with me?  Certainly this past week I have had to retrhink and replan a lot in light of the symptoms I had.  How does that fit in the case of my long term running friend?  She is back from another injury.  She may have spent nearly as much time injured as uninjured in the 3 years we have been running together.  She has had to rethink a lot.  Especially with respect to running goals.

Where do these miles put me?  These miles put me at a total of 941.6—on MO 42 on the outskirts of Belle MO.  Interestingly there is a Catholic church in this little town (popuation 1535 according to a Google search).  The churh is called St. Alexander.  There are numerous St. Alexanders in the church.  St. Alexander of Jerusalem (I'm not sure if that is the one the church in Belle is named after) was a martyr who developed a large theological library.  Big on reading.  Big on information.  Steadfast in faith.  

No comments:

Post a Comment