Thursday, November 16, 2017

Last Run Before My Last Ultra for a While

Today was my last run before the JFK 50 miler on Saturday.  That will be my last ultra marathon for at least the next five and one-half years and maybe ever.  This has been an interesting week.

I began with a run with Back on My Feet.  One of the slower four mile runs I've ever done with Back on My Feet but celebrating the fact that one of our residential members was the only one running four that day.  And he did a great job.

Tuesday was my day to run with Lauren as it has been most weeks for five years.  Great conversation in addition to about 6.7 miles.  Received two wonderful chocolate chip cookies with Nutella.  One topic of conversation was "just showing up."  Always showing up is a great way to grow a friendship.

Wednesday I had a chance to run with Kristen for the first time since August 9.  She had a knee surgery, and yesterday she was still on the elliptical while I was on the treadmill in the gym in her apartment building.  But it was great to catch up with her.

Today was supposed to be a run in Fed Hill with Nicole, but she had a migraine.  Since I didn't need the six miles we'd planned, I slept a little longer.  That was good because I've been dealing with a head cold.  Also, yesterday I had endless meetings and closed the day with 2 hours of networking.  I love networking.  But as an INFJ, I needed to check out once I got home.  Yes, I had the energy to go to the grocery store.  Yes, I had the energy to put away some clothes.  But, I just needed extra sleep.  And this morning, I ran with my pup for a longer distance than I have in a long time.  We ran 2.5 miles that that brought me over 2100 for the year already.  In the two years I'd ever done that before, I reached that distance on December 1 in 2016 and on December 10 in 2014.

I have enjoyed this year of running immensely.  Saturday will be a great test.  And then it will be time to run less for a while.  Plenty of miles with people.  Just fewer miles overall.

And it will be good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment