Thursday, October 3, 2013

40 Days to Better: Day 32

This morning I could have chosen not to run.  In fact, at one point on Facebook, on the site of a friend who talked about her own tempo run and asked how many miles people were going, I commented that I may take the day off.  I didn't.  I ran a simple 3.2 miles.  Used to be--when I drove to join a group to run three or four times a week--that I didn't think that anything less than 4 miles was worth it.  Now, I run 3 or so on a regular basis.  Partly because I don't need to drive.  Partly because I feel like I just have less time.

The run came after doing some work, washing dishes, walking the dog, and making bagels (not in that order).  I paid for it with a little fading in the middle of the day but had a very nice class that I taught this evening.

What did I learn from my experience in the universe today?  I'd like to put in terms of a free form poem:

This morning I could have chosen not to run.
This morning I could have chosen not to go in a 3.2 mile loop.
This morning I could have chosen another 26 minutes of something else.
But if I had, I would have missed so many things.
I would have missed the opportunity to see the city come alive.
I would have missed the beautiful color of the sky before the sun rises.
I would have missed the opportunity to use my legs for more than I do the rest of the day.
I would have missed the opportunity to breathe deeply and fully.
I would have missed the uphills.
I would have missed the downhills.
I would have missed the sweat that runs down my face when I make an effort.
I would have missed the experience of engaging fulling all my senses in life.
And that would be sad.
This morning I could have chosen not to run.
But I didn't.
And life is good.

The key for me is that this is not just about running.  There are many choices I make in life.  I can choose to do or choose not to do many things.  I can choose not to engage.  I can choose to disengage.  But every time I make such a choice I miss an opportunity to experience life fully.  I should stop making such choices and engage fully in the life I lead with the people I have chosen (or been blessed) to lead it with.  

The idea of choosing to do rather than not do is not something to be taken lightly.  It is something to be cherished and enjoyed.  And the joy of the experience should be shared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment